Is That a Tree I See?
This avocado’s might resemble a wooden rock, it’s just a drop away from transforming into a tree!
Remember that experiments require adult supervision at all times!
- 1 good-sized avocado pit. Make sure the surface is smooth.
- Warm water (35°C or 95°F)
- 3 toothpicks or matchsticks
- Soak the pit in warm water for half an hour.
- A full glass of water
- A small pot filled with earth
- Clean the pit to remove any avocado.
- Put it on a windowsill or in a sunny and dry place until it dries off.
- Stick the toothpicks into the rounded end of the pit so that it can be held partly above your glass of water. Make sure the rounded part is in the water, but the pointier part is in the air.
- Wait a few weeks…. What do you see?
- Once the pit has sprout out roots that are one or two centimetres long, plant the pit in your pot and water regularly.
Your avocado tree needs lots of light and warmth. Place it near a window, but make sure there are no cold drafts!