The Teachers' Room
An Educational Project
Forest Academy is an educational project for kids aged 9 to 12 years old. Completely redesigned and updated in 2012, Forest Academy has now a game for students to play and learn, and a teacher's site to provide them with more information about the forest.
You will be able to use the site in your role as teachers to familiarize your students with Internet, while pursuing the learning objectives in the natural sciences program.
The Role of the Teacher
You have to initiate your students in the use of new communication and information technologies. This site will help you familiarize your students with the Internet and the Worldwide Web. You will help instill in them the thirst for and habit of doing personal research using different sources of information. You will also introduce them to using communication tools and help them focus on accuracy in communicating.
You will also serve as a guide and a resource person for your students, who want to find answers to their questions. In this capacity, you will help students gradually develop concepts while developing their skills in using the experimental method.
You will have to adapt your interventions to the capacities and needs of your students. Students must be put into concrete situations that will provide them with varied learning opportunities, yet allow them to make choices.
We are grateful to the following individuals and organizations.
- Le ministère de la Culture et des Communications du Québec, through le Fonds de l'autoroute de l'information
- Le ministère de l'Éducation du Québec
- The Tree House of the Montréal Botanical Garden
- Le ministère des Ressources naturelles du Québec
- Les Éditions de l'Homme, a division of groupe Sogides, Mr. André Croteau, author of Guide de la forêt québécoise, saison par saison and Mr. Michel Sokolyk
- The Faculty of Forestry and Geomatics at Université Laval
- Dr. Miroslav M. Grandtner, Professor Emeritus, Université Laval
- Canadian Pulp and Paper Association
- The Pennsylvania State University